Monday, January 4, 2010

THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER by Sarah Dessen


THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER is seventeen-year-old Macy Queen's touching story about loss, love and the pursuit of perfection. Her story takes place during the summer and is set against the humorous backdrops of two jobs, one at the local library's reference desk, and a second she falls into by chance, with a catering company named WISH.

Macy agrees to take the job at the library, which she soon equates to having her teeth pulled, as a favor to her brainiac boyfriend. The catering job, in addition to teaching her the ins-and-outs of the catering business (and the fine art of dodging hors d'oeuvres chasers), helps her understand, with the help of her new friends, that flaws aren't imperfections. Rather, they are what make us unique.

Sarah Dessen's voice and conversational writing style drew me in, leaving me feeling by the end of the story that Macy was somebody I knew well-enough to be my friend. I laughed. I cried a bit in places. And I wrung my hands in others.

I found the plot to be compelling and filled with relatable, well-developed characters whose authentic voices surprised me straight through to the end.

This is the first Sarah Dessen novel I've read. I look forward to reading her others, which include:
  • DREAMLAND
  • JUST LISTEN
  • KEEPING THE MOON
  • SOMEONE LIKE YOU
  • THAT SUMMER
  • THIS LULLABY
  • HOW TO DEAL
To learn more about Sarah Dessen, you can visit her website at http://www.sarahdessen.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)