Friday, May 6, 2011

¡Veros Mangos y Veros Elotes: Dulces de los Dioses!


The English translation follows, below : )
Quería tanto tomarle una foto a una paleta fuera del papel.
¡Pero parecía un tiburon, me las comi todas tan rapido!
Sabía que debía de haber comprado mas.

I so wanted to take a picture of an unwrapped lollipop.
But I was like a shark, I ate them so quickly.
I knew I should've bought more.
¡Qué suerte tuve la semana pasada! Despues de un poco de investigación, descubri una tienda Latina que queda solo una media hora de mi casa. La tienda no es muy grande, pero vende algunos productos esenciales: chorizo de puerco, queso fresco, Jarritos de Tamarindo de litro ... y ... Vero Mangos y Vero Elotes!

Como me fascinan los dulces bañados de chile. Son tan sabrosos. Pero como todo, se deben de consumir con moderación.

Me comi tres en una media hora, algo que no les consejo qué hagen. o_O

Photo Source: Dimex
¿A verlo, no se te hace agua la boca?
Hasta ahorita quiero otra ... a las seis de la mañana.

Isn't your mouth watering just looking at it?
I want one now ... at six in the morning.

Hablando de chile ... le echo chile a todo ... hasta a la fruta fresca ...

Mi comida (como se dice "snack?") mas favorita del verano --
sandía cubierta de chile con limón. : D
Mmmmmmm....

Y sí, la tienda también vendía pan dulce (¿se acuerdan de mis conchitas?) qué mas bien parecía pan del año prehistórico: petrificada.

Que lastima.

Encontré algo chistoso buscando "snack" en SpanishDict ...


Vero Mangos and Vero Corn: Candies of the Gods!

I got lucky last week! After a little bit of investigation, I discovered a store that sells Latin products not more than a half hour from my house. The store isn't very big, but it sells some essentials: pork chorizo, fresh cheese, litre-sized tamarind-flavored Jarritos soft drink ... and ... Vero Mango y Vero Corn Lollipops.

I'm fascinated by candies smothered in chili-powder. They're so delicious. But like anything, they need to be consumed in moderation. I ate three in a half-hour, something I don't advise you do. o_O

I throw chili-powder on everything. Even on my fresh fruit. My favorite summer food is watermelon covered in chili-lemon powder. Mmmmmmm.

And yes, the store sold Mexican sweet bread (remember my conchitas) that was more like bread from prehistoric times: petrified.

So sad!

I found something funny looking for "snack" in SpanishDict ...

12 comments:

  1. Mmm, you're making me hungry :-) One of my favorite things to buy is the coke bottled in Mexico. It has real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, and it tastes fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering, but not in a good way. I have one of those lollipops in the kitchen cabinet - it was from a piñata. I tried one and my mouth watered in an effort to wash the yuckiness off. Jajajaja... I like my Pollo Asado lollipops which are a little spicy - but those elote ones, not at all.

    I like to put chili on cucumber ... will have to try it on fruit.

    Love the "matar el gusanillo" LOL!!

    Gracias por participar en Spanish Friday, Ezzy. Always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portia, is that true? I'd always heard that about coke bottled in Mexico, but always thought it was a myth. Hmmm. I must investigate and try! I've been craving these things since I posted this a.m. Won't be able to make it to the little store to get more until "next" weekend. Thanks for commenting! <3

    Tracy, you made me crack-up with the visual of washing the "yuckiness" away. I don't know what it is about them but I could sit and eat the whole bag if I didn't semi-ration myself. When you mentioned piñata, you made me think of piña ... must try it on pineapple, now. No. Seriously. Try it on the watermelon. It's awesome and not as overpowering as the Vero Mangos. Voy a buscar los Pollos Asados. : ) Gracias a tí for hosting this awesome event. Es muy divertido. Un abrazo, amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting hungry. I haven't tried chili powder on everything, though.

    In my local stores, we have small packets of candies by the register that I sometimes can't resist. They're various nougats, nut bars, and pastries from a Latin company. But I haven't seen any with chili powder on them. My favorite item--which I fortunately can find in big chains--are the arepas w/cheese that I can microwave.

    I don't have a book badge, but I have a smaller version of my widget on my Tumblr if you want the code. http://sharifwrites.tumblr.com/

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Medeia, living in Miami, I bet a lot of Latin foods are more readily accessible. That's one of the things I miss the most about living in California, Mexican food stores and bakeries were everywhere in the town I grew up.

    Thanks for sharing the code to your book badge on Tumbler! I'll be borrowing : D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ezzy,
    I love Vera Mango paletas! I've never tried the elote ones. I'm going to have to look for those. Yay! So glad you found una tienda latina, especially one that sells pan dulce!
    I hope you have a wonderful Mother's day tomorrow!
    Un abrazo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Love it! This is such a cute post and I'm so glad that you've found some great things not too far from home! Let me know how the new conchitas turn out. Your Spanish Friday posts are getting so interesting amiga! LOVE THEM! Keep 'em coming! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tara, the Vero Elotes taste pretty much the same as the Vero Mangos, just not as tart, but yummy all the same. : ) I'm still on a quest to find a panadería. Found somebody online getting reading to launch an e-store. Will share it!

    Chantilly, gracias, amiga. I'm having a blast working on these every week. The practice has been really helpful to me, looking up words and checking my verb tenses. Thank you so much for the motivation in helping me get started. : D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ezzy,
    How exciting! Can't wait to hear about the e-store you've discovered. Thanks for my sweet comment you left! Hope your having a terrific Mother's Day amiga! ((abrazos))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ezzy yo le digo noooooo a la sandia con chiles en la vida habia escuchado eso. jajaja
    Que linda gracias por compartir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adriana, you made me smile. Le digo sííííí .... se me hace agua la boca a pensar de la combinación. : D

    ReplyDelete
  12. TAJIN!!!! My kids call that "picarico" :). Ever since they were little, they would ask my husband "Pica?" and my husband would say "Si, pero pica rico!" hahaha, now all of our family refers to it as "pica-rico:)"

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)