Saturday, August 17, 2013

Winged Cigars


Learned something new this week I thought I'd pass along, because apparently I don't know much about insects. Earlier this week I noticed a green dragonfly perched on a dry rosebud in my backyard. I crept up to see how close I could get and saw that its tiny jaws chomped on something -- open, close, open, close, its mandibles moved rhythmically. How cute, I thought. The green helicopter is having a snack. Hmmmmm.

Then I remembered an incident from elementary school, when a young girl approached me on the playground. She held her index finger out in front of her, as if she wanted to say, "Number one." I remember asking her at the time what had happened to her finger, because the ruddy tip was smothered in a glob of a vaseline-like substance. That's when she told me that she'd been bitten by a dragonfly, except, she didn't call it a dragonfly. She called it a cigarrón, dragonfly in Spanish. What did I know? Winged cigars flew around burning people's fingers whenever somebody tried to touch them. Stay away! From that day forward I'd duck a cigarrón whenever one came near.

These days, I smile every time a dragonfly hovers about, mainly because somebody shared with me once that whenever you see a dragonfly, a loved one who's passed is thinking of you. I'd embraced the winged cigars.

That is until I downloaded this picture and upon closer inspection saw that it munched on a fly. Ew.

Turns out dragonflies are carnivorous.

Who knew?


7 comments:

  1. Nice shot. You got really close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. scary little things they turned out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pic amiga. I've also heard loved ones representing themselves in the form of a butterfly or bird. I'll add dragon fly to my list. My grandmother loved humming birds and butterflies....I wonder if my grandfather loved dragon flies. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard that said about hummingbirds and butterflies, Tara. Birds, either. Makes me wonder if there's folklore behind it. Miss you, too, amiga. Thank you for reading. <3

      Delete
  4. I had no idea they were called that in spanish! Ya i pretty much stay away from all bugs now scary!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)