Monday, February 14, 2011

HOW DO I LOVE THEE? by Elizabeth Barrett Browning





Every year on Valentine's Day, I remember English poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning's love sonnet "How Do I Love Thee?" for it's simplicity and intensity.

I'd be withholding information if I didn't also tell you that it's one I chose to memorize and recite at a junior high school assembly long before I understood the true meaning of its verse.

I hope you enjoy this expression of pure love.

Do you have a favorite love poem? Better yet, do you write them? If you do, I invite you to post one in the comments. Wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day! *hugs*



HOW DO I LOVE THEE?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight

For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's

Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight

I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;

I love purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use

In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose

With my lost saints, -- I love thee with the breath,

Smiles, tears, of all my life! -- and, if God Choose,

I shall but love thee better after death.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I loved the Brownings back in college. This is a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing is I had a meeting to attend Valentine's night at a local library and the moderator read it aloud to us. Made me smile. Thanks for commenting, Medeia. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little late commenting, but I was involved with a 'blogfest' on Valentine's Day and spent the next couple days just getting caught up with all the reading it involved. It was fun reading everyone's version of a 'love at first sight, or not' story.

    This poem has always been one of my favourites. Interestingly, as a dog breeder, I ended up with a Sheltie that was born on Valentine's Day (several years ago), was registered as 'Shiralee's Elizabeth Barrett" and nicknamed "Sonnet". It was a cliche, but we used to say she was poetry in motion in the show ring.

    I trust you had a lovely Valentine's Day.

    Carol Garvin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, thank you for stopping by and sharing your story about "Sonnet." I love learning interesting tidbits about people and would've never guessed you were a dog breeder. By the way, I love the pictures you've posted on your Flickr page. The nature shots are breath-taking. I'll have to check-out the 'love at first sight, or NOT' stories. : D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)