Monday, February 28, 2011

PUSH by Sapphire


"I don't understand why some kids git a good school and mother and father and some don't. But Rita say forgit the WHY ME shit and get on to what's next." -- Precious, PUSH

Clareece "Precious" Jones' earliest memories are of being abused by her parents. Rather than act as the safety net she desperately needs, school administrators advise her teachers, who first notice her worrisome signs of withdrawal at age five, to "focus on the ones who can learn."

By the time Precious is sixteen, her life's been one of submission for survival's sake. She's in junior high, can't read or write, weighs two-hundred-pounds and is pregnant by her father for the second time.

When her second pregnancy is discovered by school administrators, she's expelled and referred to an "alternative" school, where she meets girls with similar backgrounds as hers, and a teacher who changes her life. Miss Rain does more than teach her to read and write; she teaches her to find her "voice."

It's through the process of journaling that Precious finds the strength she'll need to leave her mother and deal with the biggest challenge she's faced yet.

By the time I finished PUSH, I felt optimism for Precious' future. I also felt a sadness that stayed with me long after I read it. Sapphire's raw and uninhibited verse was evidence to me that she'd not created Precious in a vacuum.

PUSH is poetic and thought-provoking. But it's also graphic and disturbing. It's a book I'd only recommend to readers who are comfortable feeling uncomfortable.

Do you think a story is ever too gritty or shocking to tell? When you think of an author writing authentically, what books or stories come to mind that you've read?

KATIE COURIC SITS WITH AUTHOR SAPPHIRE:

In the following short video clip, Sapphire discusses her background, where she got the inspiration to write Precious' character, and the movie adaptation of her book. She's an inspiring lady. (Click here to watch the entire interview.)





"But I couldn't let him, anybody, know, page 122 look like page 152, 22, 3, 6, 5 -- all the pages look alike to me. 'N I really do want to learn. Everyday I tell myself something gonna happen, some shit like on TV. I'm gonna break through or somebody gonna break through to me -- I'm gonna learn, catch up, be normal, change my seat to the front of the class. But again, it has not been that day." -- Precious, PUSH
Suggested Reading:

9 comments:

  1. I read this last year. It was very powerful, and shocking.

    Some other books that shocked me were Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl, Dave Pelzer's A Child Called It, and Shawn Goodman's Something Like Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right. I remember when you wrote about it on your blog and my commenting that I didn't think I could handle reading it. I think seeing my friend @kuhlcat reading it gave me the nudge I needed. Sapphire sure know how to deliver a message. Powerful, gritty, honest -- yeah.

    Thank you for the book recommendations and for commenting, Medeia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezzy, this is a book that I really want to read, but honestly, I'm afraid. My husband wants to read it too, but I just hurt inside even thinking about her story and I just know that this book is one that will change me forever. Once I finish the stack I've got, I'll be picking up this one and reading it regardless...but it is one I have avoided to some degree because abuse is the hardest idea for me to cope with. It really resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know where you're coming from. I avoided it for the longest time for the same reason. What I will tell you is that it is beautifully written and a quick read. But you're right to not read it before you're ready. Reading this subject-matter has made me angrier about the lenient laws our country has in place against sexual predators. Sometime this year I remember reading two news articles back-to-back on CNN. One about a woman who was caught dumping a cat into a garbage can, and another about a couple convicted of sex trafficking. Can you guess who got the harsher sentence?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ezzy, I have not read this book. I want to now though....... Honestly I didn't know this book existed. I've seen the movie. It was disturbing and thought provoking and I can imagine the book is so much more.
    Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please let me know if you do read it. You won't be the same afterward. It definitely stays with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the book and the movie did not release in Colombia but I am intrigued. Have you seen "La vendedora de Rosas"? I had the same reaction. Crudely real is not for every day reading (for me) but once in a while it's good to feel uncomfortable, for discomfort is a small price to pay for social awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela, I've not seen "La Vendedora de Rosas?" I'll have to check it out. It would be very difficult for me to read in this topic continuously. You said it perfectly: "Discomfort is a small price to pay for social awareness." Thank you commenting, amiga. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are very to the point with this review. I watched the movie -have not read the book- but it is indeed shocking and disturbing. And knowing that this is something that so many children experience is very sad, but these are stories that have to be told.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)