Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Look What I Found



Don't you love it when you find something you thought you'd lost? You know. Like that pair of earrings you only wore once? Or a phone number scribbled on a scrap piece of paper belonging to someone you'd promised to call, but never did? How about ... a book?




I'd gone to visit my brother knowing that I'd be poking around several shelves of books that had belonged to my father, thinking I might find something to bring back. Well. I did find something. The original leather bound copy of Jane Austen's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE I'd read as a kid. The first classic I'd ever read, in fact.

I couldn't pluck that red book from its shelf fast enough. Once in my hands, I opened it to sniff its old book smell and remembered how much I'd disliked Mr. Darcy, and being so moved by the ending that I'd attempted to write a scene of my own. Even back then.

This book and a few others made it back to the East Coast. They stowed away under the plane seat in front of me, because there was no way they'd get checked with the luggage. I mean, what if they lost me, again? Yeah the husband thought I was nuts.

My brother has agreed to set aside a few other books that belong to this collection that I'll grab the next time I'm in California. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll find a few surprises inside them, too.






11 comments:

  1. How cool Ezzy! Have you started re-reading it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet. It will be fun, though, when I do because I'll be thinking back to the first time I held it. Yes, I know, I'm a dork. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing reconnection! I wish I had access to my grandparents stuff, there are so many things I'd want just to rekindle the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that someday you're able to, Xenia, because it's a rush to see something familiar as if for the first time.

      Delete
  4. I know your locker combo! I know your locker combo! LOL

    Digging around my parents house for my old stuff is the best. Sometimes I think I've found all that is left to find and then my Dad will dig up some old poems I wrote on the hard drive of some caveman looking computer in the basement.

    Enjoy the treasures you've been reunited with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, you're so lucky to have found your old writing. I've lost all my writing from high school and college. *lol* caveman ... yes, those old IBMs with black screens and lime green text. :-)

      Delete
  5. Cute story. It took me a lot to let go of hard copy books. Now I can´t live without my kindle. There is something so fantastic about an old book...history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofia, I still can't get used to my Nook. Have had it for a couple years and feel cheated every time I read something on it and then see what I read at the bookstore!

      Delete
  6. Amazing! I feel your excitement since my books brought me such great joy when I was a yongster. This definitely is an amazing find.

    PS. I never liked Mr. Darcy either, I thought I was alone in this assessment. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awesome amiga! I bet you were excited. I don't blame you for carrying them on! Hope the read was much better this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you found the classic- have you started writing the classic that's within you? I'm looking forward to that first edition. Abrazos y BB2U

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)