Tuesday, October 1, 2013

#L4LL: Reading LATINA LEGACIES For Hispanic Heritage Month (Week Two)


Did you know we're midway through Hispanic Heritage Month? It's gone by quickly! I'm honored to say that Latinas4LatinoLit invited me and several other ladies to lead book discussions on their Facebook page. Each of us posts weekly questions about the respective book we're reading. All the titles are by Latino authors, some, that like me, you've probably never heard of.

I had the opportunity to chose the title I'd get to discuss, and it probably comes as no surprise that LATINA LEGACIES: Identity, Biography and Community edited by Vicki L. Ruiz and Virginia Sánchez Korrol found its way into my pocketbook. I'm about half-way through this amazing anthology of short biographies. Each chapter is surprising in that it unveils historical facts about Latinas who never made it into our history books, which I think is a shame, because the stories are exactly what history should be made of -- brave, enterprising, and creative figures who positively impacted their communities.

If you have a minute, please visit the Latinas4LatinoLit Facebook page. MY BELOVED by Sonia Sotomayor, UNBREAKABLE by Jenni Rivera, and RITA MORENO: A MEMOIR by Rita Moreno are also being discussed. And feel free to jump in at any time, past and/or current posts. You might find some literacy resources, too.


2 comments:

  1. You always find the most interesting reads! Finished Rita's, think I'll look up the one you're reading once I get back home. Gracias for keeping BB literate muchachita! BB2U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB, I really enjoyed Rita's book! What a colorful personality. Definitely check out Latina Legacies. It will get you all fired up! Abrazos, Amiga. :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)