Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I can’t believe it. I’m done. There are no more Harry Potter books to read. No more elves, owls, thestrals. I’ve finished DEATHLY HALLOWS and am happy to report that I have fallen completely in love with the entire series, its characters, creatures and author. Although this last book starts off a bit slow, the tension quickly builds, and turns into a nail-biter. DEATHLY HALLOWS is filled with so many poignant examples of love, courage and friendship, that I will never forget Harry’s losses, as he faces having to make the ultimate sacrifice for the “greater good.”

And to think that I resisted reading these books because of the media blitz. Well I’m glad I kept an open mind, because had I not read them, I would’ve deprived myself of a wonderful reading experience. Rowling is a master plotter and gifted storyteller. I now understand why so many of my friends, who are readers, continue to read this series many times over.

I've included some links to J.K. Rowling's last interview with Oprah Winfrey that I'd never seen. She doesn't completely rule-out revisiting Harry at some later date. :)


Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

2 comments:

  1. I only read the first two books. I must read the rest.

    I see you're reading Sherman Alexie. I just bought True Diary and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medeia, yes, I just started Sherman's book last weekend and I'm really enjoying it. Junior's voice grabbed me in the first line of the story. I love to be surprised by a character's personality. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

    On Harry Potter, one of the aspects of the series that made the story more interesting after the second book was seeing the characters mature and exhibit teenage qualities. I also thought Hermione was a great role-model for young girls, flawed but determined. This last book was real tear-jerker. The box of Kleenex you need gets bigger with each subsequent book.

    By the way, happy belated birthday! Thanks for commenting. : D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)