Friday, April 22, 2011

Donde Dejé Mis Conchitas? | Where Did I Leave My Shells?


 The English translation follows, below. : )




Cómo me dan ganas de comer me un Pan Dulce. Y no hablo de cualquiera. Si no de mis favoritas, deliciosas "conchitas." Las estraño tanto. No he tenido la suerte de encontrar una panadería mexicana que me satiface, cerca de mi casa.

Algo mas of menos chistoso ... hace varios años, allé una conchita en una tienda Latina.

Solo habia un problema chiquito. El pan -- tenia la forma y color de una conchita -- hasta holia como una -- pero en realidad parecía una piedra pintada de color de rosa. No le hace que tan fuerte le mordia al pan, mis dientes no le entraban.

*un suspiro*

Si quiera me ahore las calorias.

Tiene usted un Pan Dulce favorito?

pan dulce Pictures, Images and PhotosBoy, do I have a craving for Mexican sweet bread. I'm not talking about just any kind, either. Rather my favorite and delicious "conchitas-shells." I miss them so much. I haven't been lucky enough to find a Mexican bakery I'm happy with, near my home.

A kinda, sorta funny story. Several years ago, I found a "conchita-shell" at a small Latino market. There was only one small problem. The "conchita-shell" -- although it had the shape and color of one -- and even smelled like one -- it might as well have been a rock painted pink.

It didn't matter how hard I bit into it, my teeth wouldn't break the surface of the bread.

*sigh*

At least I saved myself the calories.

Do you have a favorite sweet bread?

11 comments:

  1. Ezzy,
    I love Mexican sweet bread too! Hay una panaderia close to mi trabajo and the mexican sweet bread is so delicious.
    If you still have trouble finding una panaderia and your pan dulce just send me your address and i'll send you some in the mail chica!
    Enjoyed your post!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I hate it when you search and search and the only ones you can find aren't fresh and taste stale! Frustrating! You have to find a city nearby...maybe I can help you look? Awful! I know how you feel though...being in the Midwest. Great post amiga...but now I really want a conchas and a glass of milk! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I'm on an online mission to find these vendors. There's got to be an easier to way to get these specialty items without having to drive an hour, or more. You're a sweetheart! You wanna know what else I'm craving? Did you see the pictures of the pan dulce on the link? CAMPECHANAS! OMG. I have a method to eating those. I turn them upside and peel them back layer by layer, until I get the syrupy shell. HELLO. Same with conchitas. I flip them over, too, and hollow them out. Then roll the sugary shell like a burrito and eat it! Y-U-M.

    Chantilly, I didn't save the link you sent me to that online vendor last night. : ( If you have a minute, please post it, or email it to me, promise I won't lose it. Wanna know what else I'm craving ... Me dan ganas de un bolillo con Chocolate Ibarra! Now, we're talking. : D

    Thanks for commenting, you guys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aqui tenemos las mismas probemas. Un dia, yo encuetntro una panadería y los conchas esta suave pero La capriotada tiene sabor de tierra.

    it was a cute little place there known for there cookies... Good luck in your journey de sabor....

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.alegrofoods.com/ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aye cabron... yo soi la reyna del pan jajajaj me encanta... y pues pa perder peso he dejado de comer mi rico pan... las ke me gusta son las orejas del elefante... cuando vinen los tios de mi novio siempre me traigan pan dulce.. me conocen bien.. sorry for the hard rock pan... ke lastima...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ricardo, aye, capirotada que sabe a tierra. [Oh, my. Capirotada that tastes like dirt.] Yacka! My mom used to make it every year during la Semana Santa [holy week]. I miss it. Hers definitely didn't taste like dirt. *LOL* Thank you for commenting! : )

    Chantilly, gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cabrona, tambien me gustan las orejitas de elefante. Y los panes de coco. But it's true. They're soooo calorie-dense. Good thing we'd only get them once a week, when one of my parents would make a run to the local panadería, and bring back a bag of assorted panes, todavía calientitos ... *sigh* Qué nostalgia. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! That is the 1st time i've heard of a "method" to eating those items, and I LIKE! Going to try your method when I have the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post!

    Las conchitas are always SOOOO beautiful - but they're not my favorite. I like the Marranitos. I've been looking for a pig-shaped cookie cutter so I can make my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tracy, gracias! Those were my mom's and grandma's favorites. In Cali we call them "puerquitos." Loved their little chubby bodies covered in egg glaze. Y-U-M. I can't find the correct spelling for "puerquito-little pig." I know for a fact she didn't call them "cerditos." : D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)