Thursday, October 11, 2012

THROWBACK THURSDAY: My Mysterious Abuelita

My abuelita. Mexicali, Mexico (año del caldo)

These last few weeks, my abuelita has been been paying me some unexpected visits. I could be in the middle of cooking or reading, when suddenly she'll slip into my thoughts. As if all she wants to do is say hi. It's been strange, considering I never had the opportunity to meet her, since she'd passed away long before I was born.

For Throwback Thursday, this week, I'd like to share this old photograph of my abuela. It's precious because it's the only one we have of her. It was taken in Mexicali, the small pueblo in Mexico, where my mother and her sisters were born. I know the photo isn't very clear, trust me, I've tried over and over to focus in an attempt to discern her features, but to no avail. What I do know of her, has been passed down from my mom, who swears that my abuela was a tall and beautiful woman, who never wore makeup, smoked like fiend and spoke perfect English. Sounds like a character, no?

My abuela was a hard working woman. When she was married to my grandfather, she cooked for a small restaurant they owned and operated on the main road through town, where truckers and travelers, mainly Americanos stopped to eat. From what I understand, she had to have been a very strong woman to not only spend most of her waking hours working, but also to survive being married to my abuelo, who by all accounts was a tyrant, but that's another story.

If I could spend an afternoon with my abuela, I'd first ask her to cook for me, then I'd chronicle with the painstaking accuracy of a historian her answers to my questions. I'd want to know about her parents, my bisabuelos. What life was like for her during the Mexican Revolution. How she overcame the loss of so many of her children. I'd want to know what my mom was like as a little girl and what she jabbered about before drifting off to sleep. I'd want to know what her reaction would be if she were to meet my sisters and me for the first time on the street. Did her heart break when her youngest, my mother, left her to live her own life? Lastly, I'd want to know what life was like for her when in her old age, she left Mexico to marry a gringo and live her last few years in the States.

These are all question that will unfortunately have to go unanswered. For now it appears I'll have to rely on my imagination and the bits and pieces I collect along the way to piece together my family's history.

Or maybe it will come to me in a dream. Por favor, Abuela.






















16 comments:

  1. Ezzy, your abuela sounds like an amazing woman. I love the list of questions you would ask her. I hope she sends you some answers in your dreams. I feel my great grandmother around me often and occasionally get a sign from her. Abrazos amiga. Loved your throwback Thursday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, gracias! I really wish I'd had the chance to meet my grandparents on both sides. Am going to start paying attention to the whispers. <3

      Delete
  2. She definitely sounds like a character for a future novel! I am so intrigued. Love this post, Ezzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. I'd have fun with her, for sure. :D

      Delete
  3. Hola este pequeño relato me transporto a mi pasado, mi padres murieron cuando yo era aun una niña y muchas veces siento tristeza de haber perdido (a raíz de esto) tanta información de mi pasado, también tengo un montón de preguntas que quisiera hacer a mis antepasados (incluyendo de mi niñez más temprana) Saludos y como tú dices ahora solo queda usar la imaginación.
    Saludos afectuosos,
    Andreína.-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andreía, gracias por compartir tu historia en mi pequeño blog. Aprecio que te sentiste sufficiente comfortable. No puedo imaginar lo difficile que ha de ser no tener detailes sobre tu niñez y de haber perdido tus padres sin haberlos conocido. Te mando un abrazote y beso, Amiga.

      Delete
  4. Such an interesting story and a photo I could look at and study for a long period of time. Next time your abuelita pops into your head do not ask anything rather pay close attention to what she is telling/showing you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lol* Yes, Letty, I need to shut up and listen more!

      Delete
  5. I love when that happens! I love reading about your family and learning that our backgrounds are similar my nana as i shared with you is from Mexicali she use to visit me a lot when she passed away she came in form of cigarette smell. No one else would smell it but me and my mom it was the weirdest things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby, I still trip that two girls from Santa Ana connected on Twitter. Remember your post about the Strawberry Festival? That's what gave you away. Hey, I've been thinking, Mexicali couldn't have been that big back in the day. Wonder if our abuelas knew each other??? <3

      Delete
  6. "These are all question that will unfortunately have to go unanswered. For now it appears I'll have to rely on my imagination and the bits and pieces I collect along the way to piece together my family's history."

    No hay casualidades mujer. She's visiting you to inspire; she knows your talent. Let her and your heart guide you- you have it in you to write an incredible novel. I sincerely hope you let her lead you.

    BB2U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, BB. Siempre me das inspiración. <3

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Libby, yes! That means I must have some badass in my genes. Need to bring them to the surface. :p

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)