Monday, May 23, 2011

Multicultural Familia Launches Monday, May 30th

"The ideal of the melting pot symbolized the process of blending many strains into a single nationality, and we have come to realize in modern times that melting pot need not mean the end of particular ethnic identities or traditions." John F. Kennedy, A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS


I love to read and learn about other people's experiences. Always have. This is why I spend so much of my free time reading stories about characters who struggle to find their place in a multicultural society. The reading allows me to see "my" world (my experience) through another's eyes, teaching me not only about what makes us different, but, also, similar.

So when Chantilly Patiño, the founder of Bicultural Mom, asked me to be a contributor to her new blogzine Multicultural Familia™, that's slated to launch Monday, May 30th, I was honored that she asked. I couldn't think of a better place to call home. : ) Culture, identity, raising bicultural and biracial children are all issues that are important to me.

One of my responsibilities as a contributor will be to post twice a month. Many of my posts will be about books that portray, in their unique way, what it means to be a member of our culturally diverse American society. We not only have challenges to overcome, but also opportunities to learn and enrich our understanding of each other.

Chantilly has assembled an impressive group of diverse bloggers, who I'm sure are going to surprise a lot readers. In the coming days, a blogroll will appear in my sidebar to all the contributors blogs.

If you'd like to know more, or are interested in finding out how you can get involved, please read the full press release included at the end of this post.

You're also invited to participate in the group's first tweetchat, tonight at 7 p.m. ET. #multicultralchat

Come share with us what it means to you to be part of a modern family. : )


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Chantilly Patiño
Phone: (605) 413-7948

Email: chantilly@biculturalmom.com
URL: www.biculturalmom.com
MulticulturalFamilia.com™ Online Magazine to Launch on May 30th
MulticulturalFamilia.com invites us all to join a community of diverse voices and discover the issues that matter to modern families.
Sioux Falls, SD – May 20, 2011 – A new online magazine will launch on May 30th to provide multicultural resources and articles geared towards modern families.  The magazine will address multicultural and multiracial lifestyle with special emphasis on topics such as racial and cultural identity, ethnic heritage, language acquisition, interracial relationships and multiracial parenting; with an overall focus on cultural awareness and racial unity.  The aim of the magazine is to bring people together and create a strengthened multicultural community online where individuals and families can discover similar perspectives, connect with diverse voices and find helpful resources.
Multicultural Familia™ was founded in April 2011 by Chantilly Patiño, the blogger behind Bicultural Mom, in an effort to provide an arena for discussing the unique blessings and challenges associated with modern families.  Multicultural Familia™ consists of a diverse community of writers and bloggers from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds who share common interest in multiculturalism and diversity.  Multicultural Familia™ is a place where individuals from all backgrounds can come together to learn about new cultures, understand each other’s’ challenges and discover the beauty of a multicultural lifestyle.  Through America’s growing diversity, we are moving more and more toward multiculturalism, and becoming less of a cultural ‘melting pot’.  Today’s modern families are discovering that they are not limited to embracing only one cultural identity, but instead, can choose to cultivate a broader heritage.  Join us and add your voice to the discussion!
Connect with us: Twitter  Facebook  YouTube
Upcoming event: Tweet Chat on Monday, May 23rd from 7-8pm est, via the hashtag #multiculturalchat
Learn more at BiculturalMom.com

9 comments:

  1. what a great idea I look forward in reading all the posts in this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for dropping by my blog. Congrats on the writing gig. Chatilly is great. I enjoy her blog and have already liked the new one on facebook.

    Best of Luck

    Bella Vida by Letty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I look forward to reading your posts as well as being involved! Such a great honor to be included with you lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool! I think i'll write a post like this too. didn't even occur to me :-) Can't wait to see all the great posts everyone comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and I had noticed on your currently reading list you had a nation of immigrants. I also noticed you quoted it here. How did you like it? Would love to hear your opinion on it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adriana, thank you! Sobrevivimos - we survived armageddon. : )

    Letty, sÍ! Chantilly has a way of bringing people with the same concerns together. She's been a godsend. I enjoyed your pictures and yesterday. I'll look forward to your posts. Thank you, Adriana.

    Tara, I'm so glad you've joined the group. It's going to be fun and educational. We missed you on the chat last night. : D

    Flor, you're a contributor, too! Me da tanto gusto. I'm writing a post on both what I learned reading A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS and watching the FREEDOM RIDERS.

    I'll tell you a couple things quickly: the Kennedy I learned about in school is not the one I learned about watching the FREEDOM RIDERS. Not too happy about that. We're a county of people with a small faction that makes life miserable for each group that wishes to come home here in pursuit of the principles this country was based on: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (but only if we want you). As a country, we have really bad long-term memory. History keeps repeating itself. The only difference is we find a different ethnic scapegoat and the name of the persecuting faction changes. You can read between the lines. : |

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an exciting undertaking! I look forward to the site going live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! You will be a perfect fit there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bianca! Thank you for the sweet words. Can't wait. : D *hug*

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)