Monday, July 25, 2011

Multicultural Familia: Bestest. Ramadan. Ever. by Medeia Sharif


It has been through reading books about characters struggling to reconcile their bicultural identities that I've been able to validate my own experience. Two years ago, there was no way I would've talked about it. I was embarrassed that I couldn't articulate how I felt and why. I mean, seriously, "Who doesn't know who they are?" That was until I picked up several books with a common thread running through them: characters teetering between two cultures.

Examples of these are Victor Villaseñor's Burro Genius, Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, An Na's A Step from Heaven, Tanuja Desai Hidier's Born ConfusedJulia Alvarez's How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents and Alice Walker's The Color Purple.

BESTEST. RAMADAN. EVER. by Kurdish-American author Medeia Sharif piqued my interest in 2009 because I'd never read anything written from the perspective of a fifteen-year-old Muslim-American teenager.  I wondered about her experience when the American and Muslim cultures are so different. How might she struggle?

You can read the rest of the review at Multicultural Familia. On Wednesday Medeia answers some questions about B.R.E. and we'll be giving away a signed copy of her novel. ; )

4 comments:

  1. There are so many of us that live between two or more cultures and I get excited each time I read about someone else experience. To me, it's spreading knowledge and helping to make this world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention here, and I loved how the interview turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Letty, I agree! Spreading knowledge does make the world a better place. I live for these stories. : )

    Medeia! I'm so glad. I had fun interviewing you. Excited for your debut and for what the future holds for Almira. Big hug to you. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ezzy, so sorry I'm just now checking in. Unforseen drama in the neighborhood. Anyway, this is not the time or place to fill ya in, so just wanted to mention that who ever wins this book will be very lucky. It sounds great and like something I would want to read.
    I often wonder if my son will go through what you described above with figuring out "who you are". I think we all do, but with him being bicultural, I hope I am able to help him somewhat if or when he comes to me for advice, Trying to educate myself as much as possible to be able to help him if needed.

    Abrazos amiga!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)