Monday, July 25, 2011

Multicultural Familia: Bestest. Ramadan. Ever. by Medeia Sharif


It has been through reading books about characters struggling to reconcile their bicultural identities that I've been able to validate my own experience. Two years ago, there was no way I would've talked about it. I was embarrassed that I couldn't articulate how I felt and why. I mean, seriously, "Who doesn't know who they are?" That was until I picked up several books with a common thread running through them: characters teetering between two cultures.

Examples of these are Victor Villaseñor's Burro Genius, Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, An Na's A Step from Heaven, Tanuja Desai Hidier's Born ConfusedJulia Alvarez's How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents and Alice Walker's The Color Purple.

BESTEST. RAMADAN. EVER. by Kurdish-American author Medeia Sharif piqued my interest in 2009 because I'd never read anything written from the perspective of a fifteen-year-old Muslim-American teenager.  I wondered about her experience when the American and Muslim cultures are so different. How might she struggle?

You can read the rest of the review at Multicultural Familia. On Wednesday Medeia answers some questions about B.R.E. and we'll be giving away a signed copy of her novel. ; )