Wednesday, April 4, 2012

#BanningHistory: Reading From Cisneros' Classic THE HOUSE ON MANGO STREET

In protest of the recent book banning and dismantling of the Mexican-American Studies program in the Tucson Unified School District, I've recorded myself reading from a book that conveys many of the feelings I experienced growing up a bicultural Latina. Incredulously, Sandra Cisneros' THE HOUSE ON MANGO STREET, a book that explores Latino identity, community, family and poverty, is one of these books that's been banned. (To view a complete list, which includes Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST *you heard right*, follow this link.)

Please visit www.banninghistory.com to learn more about the book banning and to view readings by others, like my friend Bella Vida Letty, who reads from Laura Esquivel's LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE, and where I contributed a poem entitled I WANT TO BE EDUCATED, when this news first broke.