Thursday, April 19, 2012

THROWBACK THURSDAY: "Home"

Mom (right) pictured with friend. 

This week I'm participating in a meme called THROWBACK THURSDAY started by my friend Tara at Me and the Mexican. I don't know if it's because I'm missing my Miami Amigas, or if it's because I've come down with a nasty cold, but I'm feeling a little melancholy today. So I've decided to go waaayyy back in time.

I start by sharing an old photograph taken of my mom in front of the house where my brother, sisters and I grew up in Santa Ana, CA. When I think back to when I was a little girl, I remember this white stucco, two bedroom, one bath duplex, whose hardwood floors my mom shellacked ever year, being the most beautiful house, ever. It had a towering oak tree that stretched into the sky, rose bushes, night jasmine and birds of paradise. Summer nights were the best because we'd sleep with the windows open to enjoy the sweet fragrance (along with the neighbor's 8-track tapes and roosters).

My happiest memories living there are of big family get-togethers, roller skating, playing pranks with my sisters and graduating high school. My saddest memories are of when the City came to cut down the tree because its massive roots had grown under the sidewalk, and of years later, when my mom, whose hair had turned grey, stood on the front steps waving good-bye when I left for the East Coast.

The Internet can be our best friend or worst enemy.

I recently went on Google Earth to see what my childhood home looked like and was saddened by what I found. Years had not been kind to it: The lawn had been replaced by concrete, there was no vegetation and the impersonal structure sat desolate, nearly swallowed by the vacant lot alongside it.

It couldn't be.

The beautiful thing about memories is that they're our own. I've cast aside the image of the strange house I saw online. What I see pictured, here, is what I'll always remember as "home."

12 comments:

  1. Ezzy,
    What a beautiful post! I have tears in my eyes!
    Your mom looks lovely and your house sounds perfect. Is the little girl down at the bottom of the pic you? Your memories you described are beautiful.
    How sad about the tree and your Google earth search.
    So glad you shared this beautiful memory with us!
    Thank you for participating.
    Sending a huge hug your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tara, for creating this meme. I think it's a wonderful idea. Y gracias por tus palabras, Amiga. I'm glad you enjoyed it. *lol* Yes, that's my little head that crept into the picture. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( i miss home now too im tempted to see what the house i use to call home back there looks like but i know ill break down amiga i am so lucky to have someone like u in my life who understands how hard it is to be where we are but to also remind me of the greatness that has come of leaving the nest big hugs to you i hope u feel better!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby, thank you! I know that life would've been different for me had I stayed in OC. It's true, we grow so much when we move away. Think of all the people you know who've never even flown outside CA. How limited is their life experience? Having said that, my true home will always be that little house in the picture. It's where I became who I am, both good and bad. Un abrazo mi hermana. Hey, maybe our trips to Cali will coincide? Wouldn't that be cool! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola amiga! Que linda la foto y recuerdos. Me parece que hiciste lo mejor, quedarte con la foto del recuerdo y borrar la de Google Earth...a veces extraño esos dias de inocencia colectiva cuando no teniamos a google en las manos. Besos!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking at old photos. How lucky that you have these beautiful memories of growing up.

    I hope you're getting over that cold already. Sending hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post! I grew up in Queens and it's been more than 10 years since the home I grew up in was sold. Whenever I drive by now - it pains me. Because the new owners have destroyed it. Hold on to the memories you have.

    Missing you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post today, Ezzy. Some memories alter through time, but those special ones are blessings that seem to stay with us forever. I'm glad you could put the internet picture of your old house out of your mind and keep the old memory alive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, thank you. It's hard not to feel nostalgic, especially with a black and white photo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, I'm debating a trip by there on my next visit to Cali for the same reason. Still thinking June for NYC. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Letty, fully recovered! Gracias. It only took a week. *lol* I've got a few more of these set aside. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abrazos, Helena! Yeah, we can kiss innocence good-bye for sure. I have a doozie of a family discovery to share when I get the courage up. My words of advice are to not look unless you're ready for what you'll find.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)