Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Do Schools Kill Creativity?


Sir Ken Robinson on TEDX: "Do Schools Kill Creativity?

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original.

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to watch a wonderful TEDTalks video about creativity. In the video, Sir Ken Robinson, an internationally reknown thought-leader in creativity, innovation and education, speaks to how public education strips our children of their creative talents, by defining for them what success should look like. 

Sir Ken Robinson contends that we've been conditioned to raise and educate children fearful of being wrong by stigmatizing mistakes both at school and at work. He's also critical of our universities, stating that "academic ability has come to dominate our view of intelligence" and that they [the universities] "design the system in their image."

Something else he said hit pretty close to home. That we should be careful how we toss around labels, such as ADD and ADHD, because what some might consider weaknesses, may in fact be strengths. What's important is that we allow our children to pursue their interests, without their schools' or our interference. I agree.

What do you think?




Creativity is diverse.

                    Creativity is dynamic.

                                    Creative is distinct.


7 comments:

  1. loved it! I love watching ted talks they really give you something to think about in a positive way. I get very inspired after listening to many of the videos online. I agree creativity comes from tria and error and our kids are so fearful of not living up to a standard or failing. It needs to stop! Everyones potential and journey is different thats what makes our world great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby, I could probably sit all day and watch TEDTalks for their relevance to just about everything. Like you, I don't think there's one I've watched that hasn't left me inspired. I agree, everyone's creative journey is different and what we should try to do is teach to individuals, rather than drones.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, don't get me started on this topic because I will get on my soap box and never come down.

    Basically, I agree that public schools kill creativity. They structure the school in such a way that they do not foster creativity or any sense of individuality. Cookie cutter learning that does not fit everyone.

    But other factors also affect this: social economic status being the more prevalent. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, you got me thinking about the Montessori holistic approach to teaching and their focus on fostering a child's individuality in learning and creativity. :-)

      Delete
  3. I agree too. We also need to give these kids as much exposure to important works of art as possible. I think they can be informed and still be creative. It's a delicate balance, I know. I would caution against telling kids that everything they make or do is wonderful, if they interpret that as, everyone is going to like it or want to buy it. We want them to be able to take that in, that they have stimulated wonder and channeled awe, that they and their creativity are miraculous, which they are--but we don't want them to have their hearts broken if the world doesn't also see or even value their vision. Again, a delicate balance between the possible and the potential.

    I'm not a parent, so I can't pretend to know how to achieve that balance. I did teach for ten years, and in the classroom as at my blog and Facebook, I try to offer as much encouragement and support as possible, with real feedback, that I hope is also both encouraging and stimulating. I keep focusing on the positive, on building up other creatives. I also filter comments. If someone else is having a bad day, I don't let them take it out on a writer or artist whose work I've posted. I generally write to the commenter, and in the kindest way, without criticizing them, tell them I removed their post and that I hope that is okay. So far everyone has understood and appreciated my "saving them from themselves." I wasn't always this good at it. But I'm getting better and better. (Sorry this is so long.)

    Great post. Thank you, Ezzy, for always adding value and helping us all be more sensitive and aware. Peace and continued good,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Schools create obedient employees but parents must try to balance that with extra curricular activities. Creativity is everything to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)