Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Secret Behind Resilience

What explains resilience?

Am I the only one who's ever wondered why some people are more resilient than others? For example, why is it that in a home where siblings are exposed to some kind of neglect, trauma or abuse, some are able to develop strong coping skills, going on to lead rewarding lives, while others don't?

I found my answer in a New York Times article my first semester of graduate school. It shook me. Prior to reading A Question of Resilience by Emily Bazelon, I'd never really considered the "nature" part of the "nature vs. nurture" argument for human development. Saying that someone was just "born" a certain way seemed too easy an explanation, like voodoo. As far as I was concerned, a person's environment and upbringing explained everything.

What I discovered in the New York Times article is that resilience is born out of both a person's genetics and environment.


"While children of average intelligence or above were more likely to exhibit resilience, the researchers noted that good relationships with adults can exert an effect that is as powerful, if not more, in mitigating the effects of adversity." Emily Bazelon, New York Times


Even though scientists have been able to identify genes that determine physical attributes, such as hair and eye color, genes that explain our psychology had remained a mystery. That is until a group of researchers identified 5-HTT, a gene that regulates the brain's serotonin levels. They discovered that the pair of genes in 5-HTT comes in two variations, two long alleles or two short alleles, with the short allele being the equivalent of getting the genetic "short end of the stick."

"Researchers are discovering that a particular variation of a gene can help promote resilience in the people who have it, acting as a buffer against the ruinous effects of adversity. In the absence of an adverse environment, however, the gene doesn't express itself in this way. It drops out of the psychological picture." Emily Bazelon, New York Times

We should all hope to have the protection of the long version of 5-HTT. Turns out that people carrying the long set are found to be more resilient, while those carrying at least one short allele are prone to developing depression and/or anxiety. The good news is that even if a person carries a short allele, it remains dormant until there's a trigger: stress or trauma.

The end of the New York Times article mentions a genetic test being made available through doctor's offices to test for the gene. What do you think? Would you want to know which set you carry?

Even though I'm fascinated by the topic and will be exploring it more as it relates to children in schools, I'm not sure I'd want to know.

8 comments:

  1. I could talk about this subject for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could also talk about this subject for hours. I think I would only want a test for the gene in kids IF we could find a way to inject them with a means of becoming more resilient if they are lacking it. I hate watching kids suffer. Finding away to make up for the deficient resilience gene would be like finding a cure for cancer. Truly, it would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting that they would be able to find a gene for resilience. I just thought it was survival instincts kicking in. I hope they continue to do more research.

    At this point I don't want to be tested but who knows, I may change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I developed coping skills but the problems were lurking behind those coping skills and while I may lead a normal life, I am a little messed up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting...but like you. I don't want to know. If I discovered I don't have the resilience gene - I could fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating post - I have always thought that there is some psychology to resilience along with the way the stars are aligned in our astrology, numerology, names, etc. (I know - weird) but the fact that they found a gene is amazing. Just thinking back to my family tree, I could see where it is strong in some but not in others. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post. I've always wondered why my siblings and I all had different life outcomes despite having been raised in the same abusive home. I am not sure I would like to know what genes I carry. It would not change the fact of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting you know the psych major in me would want to know. I've read about nature vs nurture especially with various types of predators. I think science is evolving but I question if science is working harder toward locating more life threatening genetics. This find is just interesting but I don't feel it's needed.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)