Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Spooky in Savannah

Stairs down to River Street, Savannah GA

A night of reverie and laughter
Libations and cheer
Brought women together
For a friend, so dear.

Twas late in the evening
Whilst lightning flashed overhead
A night of levity interrupted
by the lure of the dead.

"Follow me to a place down by the river," the man said.

Clothes clinging to bodies
All sticky with sweat
They followed the man
Promised a sight
They might not soon forget.

Through thick air they pressed
Down stairs and an alley
They bantered and frolicked
Half-wary, half-weary
Over cobblestones
Toward a darkness so dreary!

Do you believe in apparitions,
Residual energy
Ripples in time?
I had my thoughts,
How they've changed.
Oh, my.

River Street, Savannah GA. This photo has not been retouched. Shot with iPhone 4.

When first gazing into the cavern
Rumored to have once held grain,
Maybe munitions,
Quite possibly human pain,
A milky darkness screamed mute secrets,
Revealing no names.

River Street, Savannah GA. This photo has not been retouched. Shot with iPhone 4.

I had the chance to visit Savannah for a whirlwind weekend trip for my friend Adriana's 40th birthday last weekend. The evening we went out to celebrate we came across a friend of hers who gives haunted ghost tours. Within minutes of meeting him, we followed him to the place shown in these pictures.

These spaces were illuminated with small fluorescent lightbulbs that cast a drab grey light. Where this green came from I have NO idea. What I can tell you is that none of my other friends' cameras picked up this ghastly green that reminded me of Ghost Hunters.

Left us all feeling a little creeped-out.

What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. omg i love your writing. reads like a Halloween poem. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Adri. You know, I still haven't been able to shake the creeps. I seriously thought your friend was hyping us out before we got there. It was like looking into la boca de un lobo when I first looked. Okay, now I got the freaking goosebumps. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spooky post Ezzy. I will have to google some words lol but I got most of it! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofia, then we're the same. I feel like I'm in a college Spanish class reading your posts. Beautiful. :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow Ezzy! what a great poem...I am speechless!! I am glad you decided to do this now we have to tweet it!! love u!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love this so much!!! Que bello te quedo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias, Letty. ¿A ver cuando regresamos? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. BOOtiful! Sorry, couldn't resist. The pics and poem- perfecto.

    BB2U

    P.S. What chapter of your book are you on now? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. BB, I'm glad you liked it (also that you found it creeeeepy)! P.S. My girl's in trouble. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That gave me the chills. SPOOKY!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)