Thursday, August 2, 2012

THROWBACK THURSDAY: A Picture Sets Her Free


A Picture Sets Her Free

by E.G. Languzzi

A moment captured on film moves her.

She sees a happy toddler.
Ask her ... Was she happy?
She'd probably tell you her memories are unreliable, at best.
That at times their intensity blind her.
And that at others, a reluctant spectator peers through streaked glass.

When she sees this picture she sees a family business,
The place where she built walls to protect her from the chaos without,
While creating a prisoner within.
These walls might explain her chemistry.
How she came to be.

This much she knows ...

At least she had two parents
At least she had a home
At least she had siblings
At least she had food
At least she had hopes and dreams
At least she had shoes

When she sees this picture,
She sees a reflection of her past
And a glimpse into her future.

That much is true.

6 comments:

  1. Is that sweet little girl you?

    Deep poetry. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letty, yes. *lol* I think the forehead gives me away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That is pretty intense, Ezzy. I feel many emotions reading that poem: gratitude over what we have that makes us not as screwed up as we could be; but also a recognition of all the imperfections that definitely scarred/hurt/shaped us into who we are today. You capture that moment so well: when we look at ourselves in the past and can see things so clearly, but at the same time know that the past shaped the future. I don't know if I am making sense. But your poem gets it. I get it. *hugs* to the you in the picture and the you now, amiga. Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, thank you for reading and "getting it." What I finally wrote, after having this picture sit on my desk for weeks, reflects most accurately my sentiments toward those years. Mixed. A big hug to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! (sorry to repeat the wow Jen just gave ya, but I couldn't help myself)

    I feel so much emotion coming from what you wrote. I looked at your picture and see a happy little girl. The words in your poem surprised me. It goes to show you things aren't always what we assume.

    I love it when you share these personal deep writings with us.

    I hope you are your familia are good. I know you are busy... things have been hectic on my end too. Hopefully soon we'll get a chance to catch up.

    Sending you un abrazo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, thank you. Nine times out of ten when I write something like this I have to fight the impulse to take it down. Not easy putting it out there. But out there it is! Let's catch up. Hoping you're able to make it to the conference here in Boston next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)