Saturday, June 23, 2012

What Is It About Public Speaking?










Honest to God. What is it about public speaking that makes so many of us want to run and hide (or more, like, drop dead)? You know what I'm talking about: the shaking hands, knocking knees, sweats, racing heart. Makes you want to run out and give a presentation, doesn't it?

I'm in the middle of preparing the slide deck for my research presentation on Wednesday and, although, I'm not as nervous as I'd normally be, there's still this thread of discomfort pulling through me, like a tiny inch worm.

Part of why I'm not petrified is because I've been with this cohort, now, for three semesters, but more importantly because I've learned that negative thoughts are just that, thoughts that can't own, possess, or have the power to control me, unless I ALLOW them. It's taken me a while to grasp this important truth, but grasp it, I have with a lot of work.

What I've found comforting the last couple years is learning of all the powerful and influential people who are afflicted by stage-fright and that really only a small percentage of the population is naturally at ease speaking in public. Even so, still wishing I could be a little more like all my extroverted friends who can't wait to "perform." I envy each and every one of them. Gimme a little of that!

So, I've decided to punch FEAR in the face (or, as I'd say back home, "kick its ass").



                                                                              Source: imgfave.com via Deana on Pinterest

13 comments:

  1. lol Punch fear in the face. That's awesome.

    You are such a smart person. I know you will be awesome at your presentation. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...my husband is one of those naturally comfy public speaking. I hate it too, because I have so much to say, but public speaking makes me hella nervous. Glad you're finding ways to move past it. Be sure to share your secrets with us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eighteen months with a great therapist and anti-anxiety meds, Amiga, that's my secret. The human mind is so complex. This fear of public speaking, along with my claustrophobia and fear of flying didn't start until after college. I've stopped trying to figure out the "whys" and to instead attack the "nows."

      Delete
  3. I used to be absolutely terrified of public speaking! I even flunked speech class in high school because I was so anxious. I thought it was torture! Becoming a mom, going back to school and being with the same cohort group in every class--that all helped a lot. Just breathe, and know that when you are speaking you are sharing your knowledge and passion, Ezzy! I am sure you'll do a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, thank you for sharing your story. I believe you're right. All the experiences you mentioned do a lot toward building confidence. For some reason I can't picture you being one iota afraid of public speaking. Especially as a teacher! How did that work for you at the beginning? I'd really love to know more about that. What's funny (hope my teacher doesn't read this) is that I'm more stressed about finishing the slides (really wish I wasn't a royal procrastinator) than I am about the speaking part. Somewhere inside I know I'm ready to do it. It's the FOCUSING. *lol* AND THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT. Hope you had a great weekend and that you get to enjoy TB, today! Great episode, last night. :-) *hugs to you my friend*

      Delete
    2. I still got nervous to stand up in front of my students after 10 years of teaching! That has only faded recently, and may even start up again since I will begin a new job in August.

      It's Wednesday--thinking of you! Hoping you knocked it out of the park, Ezzy! Let us know how it goes, amiga!

      Delete
    3. Jen, I'm first one up. Tick-tick-tick. Here we go! Thank you for thinking of me. I asked one of my friends to take a picture so I could document this moment. *lol*

      Delete
    4. Jen, nailed it! Tonight, I shall sleep. :-)

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you nailed it! I knew you would. Have you ever read "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway" I think that is the name of the book..... It is awesome. It basically teaches exactly what you said above and how to punch fear in the face. Looks like you don't it though... Sending you a huge abrazo amiga! Very proud of you and wish I could have listened/seen your speech. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I have not read/heard of that book, but I'm loving the message. I still haven't written about the experience. It was a tough day leading up to it, but something clicked. All I can say is "relief!" :-)

      Delete
  5. someone once told me that in public speaking fear and nervousness is good. It increases our heart rate, adrenaline and propels us to the top of our game! Over the years I have found that public speaking comes a lot easier, but when I do happen to get nervous....I embrace it and recognize that that spark of adrenaline will help me be more articulate and have energy to present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, thank you sharing your personal experience. That's where I'd love to be, at a place where the adrenaline works in my favor, versus having it hijack my body, with my mind following suit. Perhaps with the years and lots of PRACTICE I'll get there? What I've learned is that avoidance is not a good coping mechanism, not to mention how much it has closed me off to growth opportunities. Thank you so much for commenting and nice to meet you. :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)