Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What's In Your Name?


Source: iStock Photo

I've been carrying around this Wall Street Journal article scribbled on a scrap piece of paper for almost a week.


When I first read the headline ... yeah *rolls eyes* ... I thought, "No more Weiner! Please." I'd had just about enough of this guy's nonsense in the news. But I gave the writers a chance and read past the first couple of short paragraphs.

The article draws an interesting connection between occupations (some might say behavior, too) and people's names -- a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

As I read the names of an attorney ("Sue Yoo") and urologist ("Dr. Chopp"), I pondered my own. My-annoying-when-pronounced-in-English-name. Had I missed a "calling," some interesting career opportunity because I'd been too busy cringing every time I heard it?

"But Esmeralda ... it's so beautiful."

Yes, in Spanish, "Esmeralda," or "Emerald," rolls off the tongue. In English -- well -- it comes out like a fur ball. Like a malady in need of a cure.

Maybe I feel this way because every teacher I ever had from K-8 butchered it during roll-call. Or perhaps it's because the only other "Esmeraldas" I'd ever heard named were from film or TV, e.g. Samantha's nervous aunt on BEWITCHED, or the gypsy who got dragged up a tower by a hunchback.

Yup. All gems.

Trust me, there's a reason why the first time somebody called me "Ezzy," I latched on to it like a barnacle to the hull of ship.

If what this article suggests is true, should I have been a miner?  A gemologist? A museum curator or art collector? Hmmmmm ... what should somebody named after a precious stone do for their life's work?

In case you're wondering, I can't stand the sound of "Ezzy" in Spanish, either.



Are you in an occupation, or behave in a way that's "fitting" of your name?

8 comments:

  1. roflol at Weiner... a name means so much. But if I hear A. Weiner one more time from the girls at the View I am going to scream I think they just like saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting article and though-provoking post! I am reminded of the doctor at student health services when I was a freshman in college: Dr. Hacker. I was frightened before I even got to my first appointment! My own name is completely unrelated to my work or my behaviors, but affected me while growing up. I was born at a time where Jennifer was a very popular name. In fifth grade there were five of us in my classroom! It forced us each to carve out our own identities, creating unique spellings: Jenni, Jenny, Jennie, Jen, Jenn and Jennifer (I was Jenny back then LOL!)

    You have me trying to figure out how Ezzy is pronounced in Spanish. Does it sound like "Essi?' I am betting that you didn't suffer from "Jennifer syndrome" when you were in school! A very unique name, you have :) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adriana, I KNOW! I'm sick, sick, sick of hearing about him. I bet those women do just like hearing themselves say it. *LMAO* One of my girlfriends posted something about the story when it first broke and I thought she was joking.

    Jen, can you hear me cackling all the way from Boston? Dr. Hacker! I would've taken a detour out the back door. See, I would've loved to have been a Jennifer. It sounds the way it's supposed too. But I can totally see what you mean about having to carve out your own private self in a room full of "Jennifers."

    Yes, Ezzy is Spanish is "Essi." WAAAAAAHHHH. I can't believe you said it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ezzy,
    I LOVE your name! It is beautiful. I thought Ezzy might be short for Esmeralda, but was not sure. My father calls my mother Izzy which is short for Isabel.
    What a great post! Now you have me wondering about my name....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well my name means happy and I am an eternal optimist. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Tara, I love the sound of the name Isabel, both in English and Spanish. You'll have to share any revelations you have after you've thought about yours. ; )

    Letty, I'm a believer! Your optimism is one of the reasons I enjoy following you, amiga. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow amiga! I absolutely love this post! This is going down as one of my favorites! Being named after a gem, I can safely say that you are doing what a "gem" should be doing...you're artistic and passionate...and that's what a gem is meant to be. Your name is beautiful and I wondered why it's not your preference and figured more than likely that it got a bad rap by non-Spanish speakers, as many creative names do. You and your name are both awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chantilly, you guessed right! Thank you, amiga. I feel the same about you! <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)