Tuesday, October 25, 2011

BLOGALICIOUS 2011: It Was All About Las Mujeres



Wanna grow?

I had a wonderful time at the Blogalicious Conference in D.C. this weekend. Educational content, inspiring keynote speakers and sponsored events aside, what I loved most about it was finally seeing in person many of the women I've met through Bicultural Mom and Multicultural Familia this year. 

The truth is that I was more than a little nervous about going there. It probably didn't help that I had to get up at 3:00 a.m. to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight (when I'm afraid of flying) ... or that I discovered on my way to Logan airport that I'd booked myself into Dulles (an hour away from the conference) instead of Ronald Reagan ... or that I'd be rooming with three women I'd never met in person.

(L-R) @Latinaish, Me, our santitos bracelets, cupcake from American Cancer Society Cupcake Party 
My worries vanished as soon as as I arrived at the conference and tracked down my roomies, @RubyDW, @LaFamiliaCool and @Jendalynne, women who warmed me with their good-humor, kindness and generosity. I was also thrilled to meet the blogger responsible for bringing out the Spanish in me @Latinaish and was surprised to see that we were both wearing similar santitos bracelets (one of which I now own : ).

Helena from @PinkGuayoyo (dancing feet) is every bit as outgoing and savvy as she comes across on her blog, @NewLatina is intelligent and inspiring, @MamiTalks, @ITYCPodcast and @BrownGirl were as classy in person as they are online. I also made two new friends @NewYorkChica and @Latina_Sweetie, two vibrant women from NYC who laughed alongside us.

An unexpected surprise to me was that I had a chance to meet the brains behind Latism, @AnnaRC and @ergeekgoddess, two uber-accomplished women, who educated me on the mission and goals of the organization: to promote Latinos in social media. I was happy to hear that there might be a chapter coming to the Boston area! I'm hoping to be able to get involved. : )

(L-R) @BiculturalMom Me @RubyDW
We couldn't wait to meet Chantilly!
The conference pace was frenetic. We did not want to miss anything and literally ran ourselves into-the-ground. In case you're wondering about the rooming situation, it was hysterical. We laughed to the point of tears. No shyness in this group.

One person I wish I'd been able to spend more time with was @BiculturalMom, who was busy with sponsors from the moment she arrived to the moment she left. She's a superwoman who's accomplished so much by launching two successful blogs in less than year. I see good things coming her way.
Top Left (L-R) @LaFamiliaCool @RubyDW
Bottom Left (L-R) Me @PinkGuayoyo
Top Right @NewYorkChica Me @Latina_Sweetie
Middle Right (L-R) @Jendalynne @RubyDW Me @ReneSyler @LaFamiliaCool @NewYorkChica
Bottom Right (L-R) The Jenda & Ruby Show @Jendalynne @RubyDW
If you care about diversity and want a engaging social media conference to attend, I recommend Blogalicious. A word of warning, though, the blogging piece is secondary to the social aspect. The women is where it was at! My hope is that we'll be able to get more of our hermanas on board to participate.


Think you might go next year?


The Gaylord Hotel, Washington D.C.

19 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good conference. You should definitely come to Blogher in NYC next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great experience. What a wonderful oppty to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Amiga you truly are an amazing person and i'm so glad we have blogalicious to remember when we first met. Your post captured it all It brought back all the memories from the conference. I hope to see you again soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ezzy divina! Tu eres preciosa, adorada, amorosa - toda una dama! Derrochas clase mujer. La verdad que suerte poder hangear contigo :) Espero poder vernos pronto. Te mando un beso enorme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the chance to room-in with you again I'll definitely be there! It was a pleasure meeting you amiga, great post and great pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking about it. I've heard it's really huge, though. One of the things I really liked about Blogalicious was that it was a smaller group, more intimate setting. Bigger than the Bloggy Bootcamp you and I attended, but smaller than a BlogHer. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was, Letty. Wish you could've attended. ¿Quizás el proximo año?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so sweet. Thank you. I had so much fun. Thank you for the laughs. We should plan something to D.C. to visit the monuments/museums. Jenda seems to be in "the-know." : ) Un abrazo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ay, amiga. Gracias ¿Me quieres hacer llorar? ... Hey, me gusta esa palabra ... "hangear." *LOL* So happy we connected. Vamos mandandole una notita a Oprah? BTW, nunca se me olvidara nuestra pequeña visita a Build-a-Bear. OMG. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dania, gracias. The pleasure was all mine. It was definitely a memorable trip. I have to keep reminding myself that you guys are all younger than me. Next time I'll be sure to take my vitaminas. BTW, I've been listening to the "Burbujas de amor." : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures! I'm so jealous! I would have loved to meet all of las blogueras! How lucky you were to go. It looks like a total blast! The blogging world is definitely a family it seems. Hopefully I will be there one day! Would love to meet you Ezzy in person!!! =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just popped in to see what you're posting on today (I don't know Spanish, so very often I just come and go here). I've been to several writers' conferences but never a bloggers' one. Meeting up with cyber friends and putting faces to the names is always such a treat. This past weekend was the big writers' con that I like to attend in Surrey, BC, but I couldn't go this year and I'm feeling conference-deprived. There's always so much to learn but also lots of socializing. Next year for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you had a wonderful time! I absolutely love seeing all of the pictures, Ezzy! It's wonderful to see so many pictures of people from our Multicultural Familia. I am glad that you all got to meet in person. Maybe some day Tara and I will get together with you all (you and I can be the old women who need to take our vitamins together...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Carol! I hope you're able to make it to a writer's conference in '12. : ) I've been hesitant to attend one without first completing a first draft of one of my WIPs. Is that silly of me? Bloggers conferences are great for just getting out and socializing with bloggy friends, you'd be surprised how many writers attend. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Missed you, Jen. You'd have LOVED the diverse crowd. I'm going to make a point of buying my next year's ticket when it goes on pre-sale. (We should all plan on attending.) Yes, vitamins, tonics, yoga ... whatever it takes. These ladies ran me into the ground! I'll be better prepared. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tara, you're right about blogueras feeling como una familia. I'm not going to lie, it was a little strange, as though I'd known these ladies a really long time. Wonderful! I'm selfishly hopeful that the Blogalicious planners keep next year's conference on the East Coast. Although, Vegas wouldn't be so bad : D ... Missed you, amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ezzy - you are so beautiful! I'm glad you got to go to this conference and meet those wonderful ladies :) I've only been to one blog conference, but it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wouldn't that be awesome Jen! A goal to look foward to!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did I miss this post?! ... Ah, sweet memories. I'm so happy I got to meet you, Ezzy. You're a fantastic person in so many ways and the fact that we were both wearing santos bracelets must mean we're meant to be friends 4-ever :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)